What is VP6?
VP6 is a flash file format better known as TrueMotion VP6. This format represents the VPx family, following earlier versions: VP3 and VP5.
What is VP6 designed for?
VP6 codec was introduced by On2 Technologies in 2003 as a proprietary video codec, an essential concurrent to traditional DVD formats. Further improvements made this codec suitable for high quality web-video.
What are VP6 special features?
- good output video results (faster playback and lower noise ratio)
- Alpha channel encoding support
- low processor requirements
What are VP6 advantages?
- supported by stable version of FFmpeg
- as an open-source project since 2006
- flexible implementations
- multiplatform support
- quality and accessibility of web video
- prospective for HD, full-screen video playback on mass market PCs
Where it can be applied?
This codec is commonly used by Adobe Flash, Flash Video, and JavaFX media files. China's Enhanced Versatile Disc (EVD) preferred VP6 format to DVD. Now it is used in products for broadcasting (BBC reporters and QuickLink software). Concerning PC usage, VP6 files are opened with Adobe Flash Player - Cross-platform flash video plugin providing users with quality visual effects.